[Xastir] Xastir Newbie having receive problems

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Sun Nov 29 14:30:05 EST 2009

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009, J Hunter wrote:

> After installing Xastir and getting it configured I am running into a bit of
> a problem on the receive end.
>
> I have a TinyTrak4 connected through the serial port and when I hit the
> "Transmit Now" button I can see my radio transmit and I hear it over a second
> radio.
>
> When I look on GoogleMaps APRs and  OpenAPRs I see my station on those maps.
> Additionally on those maps I see other stations around me but on my Xastir
> screen I only see myself.
>
> Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

   Take it step by step:

1) RX audio - unplug the TNC from the radio.  Are you hearing packets?
Do they sound clean or raspy?

2) How is the RX audio being picked up from the radio?  Discriminator?
Speaker/headphone jack?  Is it providing the proper level and EQ for the
TNC?

3) Does the TNC have a 'DCD' led or other visible indication that packets
are being decoded?

4) Shut down xastir and launch minicom on the same serial port.  Are you
seeing packets coming in the serial port?  Bad Rx line in the cable?  Are
the packets formatted as xastir expects? (KISS or 'normal' mode?)

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009