[Xastir] On to the next question

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 29 15:12:17 EST 2009

There's no automated method for obtaining the maps for local use unless a script has shown up in one of the latest releases (I'm about two releases behind right now).

It's just a manual process if there's no script handy.  You just go out and get the proper TIGER/Line shapefiles for the streets in the areas of interest and also collect your topo maps in some appropriate format (GeoTIFF being ideal but it needs to be reworked according to the readme with Xastir).

I forget which TIGER set doesn't work properly with Xastir so someone will remind me here.  But there's an older set which has all the data fields and a newer set which had a few fields stripped (or was that the GNIS data files?).

Once you get the files, just put them in the directories of your choice on your system.

One thing you may want to consider is slicing up the county TIGER files into smaller chunks so that they load faster if you're zoomed in.  Xastir will load only what's on the screen.  But if a tiny corner of a county is visible, it will load the entire shapefile for it.  I can't remember now what the tool was that cut them up into squares.  Cutting it into small squares will ensure that the tiny corner of visible county will only load a small square of the TIGER data instead of the whole county which is mostly hidden off the edge of the screen.

TIGER/Line shapefiles (can be downloaded county by county):
http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/