[Xastir] Wx alerts

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Mon Oct 5 18:05:22 EDT 2009

On Sep 30, 2009, at 10:36 AM, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, Keith Kaiser wrote:
>
>> Under the interface menu item do I have to supply a specific server
>> to receive Wx alerts from?
>
> If you're hooked to the core 1 or core 2 networks, or to Firenet,
> you should receive them, assuming you don't have your filtering set
> to filter them out.

OK, I did look at the wiki, but it's still not clear to me "exactly"
what is needed to get Wx Alerts to show up on the map.  It's seems
that the Wx Alert references are scattered amongst a number of links
in the wiki.

>    xastir/scripts/get-NWSdata
>
> That should populate the /usr/local/share/xastir/Counties/ directory
> with shapefiles, then Xastir should start showing you weather alerts
> as long as you have these checked:
>
>    Map->Enable Weather Alerts
> and perhaps:
>    Map->Enable Area Color Fills
>
> And this unchecked:
>
>    Map->Disable All Maps

I have run the script, and done the enabling per above instructions.
Now, I see where I might have to be "connected" to a server???  I am
not using xastir as an iGate.  I din't see the need to be connected in
the wiki for Wx Alerts.  Maybe it was in one of the many links I did
not rabbit-chase down.  What am I missing?

In other words, in one concise place, are there docs that spell out
(from start to finish) what has to be set up in xastir, what has to be
working outside of xastir, etc to get the confounded Wx Alerts
working?  If not, then what would be the best way of tracking this
down so it's not so obscured?

I apologize for the frustrating tone of this email, but I'm at my wits-
end...

Frustrated-73's - Dale.  KG5LT