[Xastir] Xastir-1.9.6

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 23:24:50 EDT 2009

Looking through the "bag of tricks", I found a PCLinuxOS 2009.2
virtual machine from August of this year.  I also found I had kept
track of what libraries had been installed for Xastir.  I launched
Xastir, and it went right to the station configure screen.  I closed
that window, and did a help-about, and it said it was compiled August
5th, 2009, but the window with that information was a very wide
rectangle covering the full width of the screen.  Then I went into the
menu, and clicked station-configure, and I got an instant segfault -
crash back to the terminal.  That explained why I had not entered my
call and coordinates back in August.  I decided to re-build Xastir
using the same source code from August.

Configure looks OK.
http://www.175moonlight.com/xastir/pclinux-os/configur.txt

Didn't see any errors on make, either.

Launched Xastir - configure station window appeared as expected -
decided to fill in my station information while the window was there,
and it worked.  I changed to online tigermaps, and they worked.  Then
I added an internet server - crash - segfault - launched Xastir again
and tried adding the internet server again, and it crashed again - the
2nd time with more text showing in the terminal - the terminal output
for the entire sequence is at
http://www.175moonlight.com/xastir/pclinux-os/segfault.txt

Then I ran Xastir in debug mode, and added an internet server again.
The debug output is
http://www.175moonlight.com/xastir/pclinux-os/debug.txt.

Not to be lacking information :-) , below are the packages that were
installed from the repositories:

cvs
autoconf
automake

ImageMagick
gv
libxp-devel
libax25_0-devel
lesstif-devel
tcl

libMagick10.4.0-devel
libcurl4-devel
pcre
libpcre0-devel
libdb4.6-devel

proj
proj-devel
geotiff
geotiff.devel
gdal
gdal-devel
festival
festival-devel

I also installed gpsman and gpsmanshp from...
http://www.ncc.up.pt/gpsman/gpsmanhtml/gpsman-6.4-2.noarch.rpm
and
http://www.ncc.up.pt/gpsmanshp/gpsmanshp-1.1-0.fdr.1.i386.rpm
and finally,(it's all coming back to me now!) I used get-maptools.sh
to install shapelib from source in order to keep gpsmanshp happy
during its installation.

So, no problems compiling, but Xastir 1.95 from August (CVS) is
definitely not stable in PCLinuxOS 2009.2.

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX