[Xastir] Problems with a KAM+

VA7OTC JD Erskine va7otc at yahoo.ca
Sun Oct 25 21:41:06 EDT 2009

Eric Christensen wrote:
> Yeah, it's putting the device in Terminal mode at the beginning of the
> tnc-startup.kam file.  I've got it setup as a Serial TNC.  It receives
> fine it just won't transmit.  Again, works fine on my 9612+ but not on
> my KAM+.
>
> --Eric W4OTN

Not really. It _is_ in Command mode. I just replicated that action.
Still sneaking up on Xastir (new Mint 7 setup to try it on) however have
a KAM-EB (v6.1) on a serial cable here.

I looked on-line into (what must be an early version from 2004) of the
tnc-startup.kam file and it doesn't show anything in it that puts the
unit into Converse Mode.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=E1BpFK2-0001Qz-9U%40sc8-pr-cvs1.sourceforge.net&forum_name=xastir-checkins

--------
http://sysinf0.klabs.be/usr/share/xastir/config/tnc-startup.kam?dist=;arch=

I looked in these versions and found some to apparently be for a
MFJ-1270 TNC2. However many versions had a setting of TXU which returns
a classically Canadian EH? from my KAM.

The TXxxx settings/commands in my KAM+EB (Enhancement Board) v6.1 are:
TXDELAY
TXDAMTOR
TXDFEC
TXFLOW

Checking in manuals I have here reveal the following:
KAM Plus ref
TXdelay
TXDFec
TXDTor
TXFlow

KAM XL manual is same.
As is KAM'98 v8.3 manual.

Kantronics calls its Packet modes (states?):
Command Mode(Packet)
Converse(Conversation)Mode(Packet)
TRANS(Transparent)Mode

However they then muddy the waters with these descriptions:
KAM'98: "Now that you’ve learned how to enter commands and connect to
the KAM’98 internal mail box using the NEWUSER command set,it is time to
turn on the full command set of the KAM’98. You may do this by using the
INTface command.
We’re going to set the KAM’98 in TERMINAL mode, a general mode that
allows you full access to all commands. To enter TERMINAL mode, at the
cmd: prompt type INT TERMINAL <return>."

Then in the apparently newer KAM XL manual they use it synonymously with
  Command Mode.
"Terminal mode is the text-based command interface that allows operation
of and communication with the KAM XL from a terminal program of "dumb"
terminal unit. In this mode, only one communication mode can be used at
any time, which could be Packet mode on either or both radio ports or
one of the non-packet HF modes instead." Ugh.

Oh, I see you had a similar instance a year ago.
http://www.mail-archive.com/xastir@xastir.org/msg04071.html
TXU is commented out in your file then. Teach me to spend time looking
stuff up. Was there a resolution at the time?

 From having peered into about eight on-line versions of the
tnc-startup.kam file I would say it appears this file is not responsible
for putting the TNC into Converse mode. Also that it should not have TXU
in it.

73, John (JD)

VA7OTC/VEØJD
Victoria, BC