[Xastir] Problems with a KAM+

VA7OTC JD Erskine va7otc at yahoo.ca
Mon Oct 26 02:29:47 EDT 2009

Tom Russo wrote:
buncha snips
> The startup file doesn't put the TNC into converse mode,

> Xastir takes the TNC in and out of conv mode all the time,

> Clearly, something is amiss and your TNC is not being put into conv mode.

> That is, there is an assumption that "most" TNCs take "K" as a synonym for
> "conv".  Perhaps the KAM+ is one of the ones that doesn't?  Try editing
> interface.h to comment out the first #define and uncomment the second, then
> rebuild and try again.  Perhaps that'll fix it.

Good thoughts.

My KAM+E uses either CONV or K. I've checked the manuals or ref pubs for
the KAM+, KAM98 and KAM XL and they all do as well. So Eric needs to
check your other suggestions.

Yeah, I didn't think that file would place the TNC/interface in or out
of Converse Mode.

I wandered down another path, however finally realised that was for
connected packet radio (CONMODE and NOMODE, don't go there).

Eric: what is your PORT setting? You may not be able to easily switch
between ports from within Xastir while it's running, however you can
always change over the active port easily enough in a terminal. I'd also
forget about anything fancy until it pays attention.

Spent the evening pouring over manuals and interrogating my TNC. I'm out
of ideas. Try a HARD RESET? Rebuild as Tom suggests? Try one of those
and test. Try other and test. Which one is easier for you?

73, JD
VA7OTC