[Xastir] Gating APRS messages for local stations to RF

Julian Moss julian.g4ilo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 17:44:20 EDT 2009

On 09/09/2009, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:

> Here are comment lines from xastir/src/igate.c.  They might give you
> more hints as to what is going on in your tests:
>

> // If we made it to this point, the packet is from an authorized net
> // user (no TCPXX found in the path), or the callsign has been
> // authorized via the nws-stations.txt file (whether or not TCPXX
> // was found in the path).
> //
> // Found in file: Gate always
> //
> // Not found:     Gate if TCPXX not in path -AND- if destination
> //                station was heard in last hour on RF -AND- if
> //                source station was NOT heard in last hour on RF.

Thanks for the suggestions. It appears there is a more fundamental
problem here in that soundmodem seems to stop receiving after some
time. I'm not exactly sure how long - I'll have to set my VX-8
beaconing at two minute intervals and see when it stops receiving the
position reports - but I have noticed after some time that it does not
receive anything the HT sends until I restart the computer. I can't be
sure that this is not the cause of the problem I reported, since
xastir may not be hearing the VX-8 even though it has been sending
beacons.

I had to apply a hack I found through Google to the soundmodem code to
fix a problem that it tries to open the soundcard at a 9600 sample
rate and the soundcard in the Eee PC doesn't support it. I don't know
if that is the cause of the problem because it didn't work at all
without the hack. But I did notice that the diagnostic oscilloscope
screen in soundmodemconfig freezes after a few seconds, which didn't
happen with the version that came from the Ubuntu repository. Is there
a list where I can get help with soundmodem?

--
Julian, G4ILO
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com