[Xastir] IGate Different Question

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Sep 23 10:24:50 EDT 2009

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, J. Lance Cotton wrote:

> The Java program javaprssrvr seems to be the current best
> implementation for handling APRS-IS style data, and it includes
> plug-ins (adjuncts) for igating and digi-peating.
>
> Being Java, it can run on just about any computer platform. There is
> even a linux ax25 module so it interfaces perfectly with the kernel
> ax25 networking ports in Linux.
>
> At home, I run it as the area iGate on my home ham computer. It has a
> nifty feature where if the callsign of a "client" (say, Xastir)
> connects with the same callsign as the javaprssrvr/iGate setup, it
> sets up that connection as if the TNC were directly connected to
> Xastir. This means that messages you send out, etc, are not formatted
> as third-party messages.
>
> The one downside is that then Xastir can't tell the difference between
> TNC and Internet sourced traffic.

So in that case you connect Xastir to the TNC via AX.25 networking
as well and it then has a direct connect to RF w/o going through the
igate.  Might need to change the SSID in this case though.

Can javaprssrvr filter out all but a few callsigns as was originally
requested?

Javaprssvrv is free, but not open-source as I understand.