[Xastir] Soundmodem Diagnostics Disappear?

Piotr Gluszenia Slawinski curious at bwv190.internetdsl.tpnet.pl
Sun Aug 1 19:23:32 EDT 2010

> Good Afternoon,
>
> I have an iGate setup running Xastir+Soundmodem on Ubuntu 10.04 and I am
> trying to tune Soundmodem but I'm having some issues.  What's happening is
> when I try to open any of the diagnostic items in Soundmodem, they work for
> about 5 seconds, then they go blank.  The only way that I can get them to
> run again is close out of Soundmodemconfig, then restart it and the same
> thing happens again.  It basically makes the diagnostic tools useless.  Has
> anyone seen this before?
>
> Thanks!

yes, i have similiar issues when using ALSA mode on plenty of
custom-rolled gentoo systems (glibc 32bit, glibc 64bit, uclibc)

in my case i need to kill soundmodemconfig manually.

work-around for me is just to use OSS mode, i guess soundmodem
author forgot to update to new alsa api some ugh... few years ago...

there seems to be also some more pending bugs, i.e.
when you disconnect all clients from /dev/soundmodem0 soundmodem
consumes 100% cpu, also when you try to use soundmodem for
recieve-only (no transmit) after some time xastir crashes,
and upon next restart soundmodem plays all packets which 'should not
be relayed' for few minutes.

as work around i just have to use full rf-gating and mute soundcard output
manually - with such config it works stable for months.