[Xastir] silly map questoins

Rob Neece kk4r at cox.net
Sun Aug 1 23:33:17 EDT 2010

I was using the on line tiger maps until they quit, which coincided with
work getting very busy.  I'm just now getting back to playing with
xastir.  The software was updated to v1.9.9, and I launched into
collecting some maps off line.  None of this was too hard, based on the
information in the wiki, but now I'm interested in how things work, so
it can be optimized a bit.

The main question is what does Auto Maps do exactly?  I downloaded VA
county maps and picked on around me and selected them in the chooser
with Auto Maps turned off.  Now I had maps, but it didn't look too good
on the flat background, so I played around.  More maps were downloaded:
sets for MD and NC, and some additional VA maps from another source.
About that time, I happened to enable Auto Maps, which changed the
background and gave me coverage way beyond the VA county maps that were
selected in the chooser.  So, is Auto Maps now displaying whatever it
finds in my directory system (...xastir/maps)?  Since the Online
directory is populated, does that mean that maps are being pulled in
from on line too?

It seems to me that there must be some rhyme or reason to keeping
certain maps in your directory system, or is all that controlled via the
chooser?  This basic, user-level information is not in the wiki, or I
haven't found it.

Thanks,
Rob
kk4r