[Xastir] Installing Xastir 1.9.9 on Ubuntu

John Wilson kc4lzn at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 09:41:29 EDT 2010

On 8/2/2010 4:26 PM, Tom Russo wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 04:21:01PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the<kc4lzn at gmail.com>  flavor, containing:
>
>> On 08/02/2010 04:05 PM, Tom Russo wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 03:52:07PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the<kc4lzn at gmail.com>   flavor, containing:

>>> This is not the text in the "Updating Xastir" section of the Ubuntu 10.04
>>> document (http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Ubuntu_10.04).  Which wiki page are
>>> you reading (post the URL)? That could be where you're going wrong.
>>>

>> Wow...Never saw that one.
>>
>> This is the page I was working from...
>>
>> http://www.xastir.org/wiki/Notes:CVS
>>
> Ah.  Well, that would explain all the headaches you're having.  The
> Ubuntu-specific one would have served you better, as it lays it all out
> in a simple step-by-step process precisely tailored to the exact system
> you're using.  The page you referenced is one of the "General Notes" and is
> more of a wikified version of a document that comes with Xastir source giving
> general information about CVS (README.CVS in the source tree).

To close the loop on this...I had a box here with a virgin Ubuntu 10.04
OS installed on it. I followed the instructions to the tee just as Tom
had stated, and it worked. No failures, operated as scripted.

Many thanks to Curt and Tom for their direction and patience. Lesson
learned...make sure I have the proper instructions for the OS I have in
hand. 73 all and look forward to working with the group.

John