[Xastir] Soundmodem installation error

John Wilson kc4lzn at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 08:55:48 EDT 2010

On 08/10/2010 07:02 AM, James Cameron wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 06:05:18AM -0400, John Wilson wrote:
>
>> /Looking at Synaptic, there is overwhelming references to GTK.
>> Because of the light nature of Lubuntu, what specifically is Xastir
>> looking for that I need to additionally install?
>>
> You said soundmodem in subject but Xastir here.  I'm guessing you mean
> soundmodem.  If so, probably the package libgtk2.0-dev
>
> To find a list of other likely packages that will be required, you might
> do this, which I have done ...
>
> $ cd /tmp
> $ apt-get source soundmodem # fetch current packaged version
> $ grep -i build-depends soundmodem-0.15/debian/control
> Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 5), flex-old, libgtk2.0-dev, libaudiofile-dev, libasound2-dev [!kfreebsd-i386 !kfreebsd-amd64 !hurd-i386], libxml2-dev, libhamlib-dev
>
> This tells you that in order to build from source for 0.15 you probably need
> those packages.  So you might satisfy all likely dependencies with:
>
> apt-get install flex-old libgtk2.0-dev libaudiofile-dev libasound2-dev libxml2-dev libhamlib-dev
>
> Sometimes a newer version may depend on something else.  When that
> happens it gets more interesting.  Asking the developers of the package
> is one last resort.  ;-}

Apologies...yes, I referenced installing Xastir but it was in reading
the instructions on Xastir documents, talking about Soundmodem. Yes,
this is installing soundmodem for use with Xastir.

In working the first command, it references .013 version.

I will check the other dependencies and follow-up.

73 John