[Xastir] Soundmodem installation error

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 15:27:40 EDT 2010

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010, John Wilson wrote:

> Guess that didn't sink in the first time that was told to me. It was ran from
> where I downloaded the file to, under a sub directory to the download folder.
> I was told some time back the same thing you mentioned about whatever you
> install, install under the /usr/local/* so that if you do run into problems,
> it can be fixed a little easier.
>
> AFter moving the file to a directory under /usr/local/ and I fired it up, I
> got an "up" setting in Xastir.

Most "./configure;make;make install" setups will install to
/usr/local/* by default.  There's a "make" option to actually run
through the make steps without actually doing an install also, to
see where things might go if you were to just do a "make install"
directly.  Any of these will do a dry run:

     make -n install
     make --just-print install
     make --dry-run install
     make --recon install

According to my "man make" page here.

> Now the next hurdle...setting up the sound.

Grep for "festival" through the text README* files that come with
xastir.  There's an option for starting up the festival server,
which you must do before you start up Xastir.  Actually I think
there are two types of options listed, one might work for some
people, one for another.

I install the festival packages from either the OpenSuSE main
repositories or the ham repository for same.  That way I'm not
compiling festival myself, which is difficult.