[Xastir] Item

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh KJ4ERJ at arrl.net
Mon Aug 16 14:24:43 EDT 2010

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh wrote:
>
>> Curt, WE7U wrote:
>>
>>> Do you support assigning tactical calls across the air?  That's
>>> something we implemented in Xastir for support of Events, but the
>>> user interface for doing so is not obvious.  We need to work on that
>>> to make it easier.  I usually have to look at my notes or the code
>>> to remember how to send a tactical call assignment.
>>
>> You mean you can change a station's callsign with a specially crafted
>> message to the station?
>
> Nope.  It's a display-side assignment of a tactical callsign.  It
> doesn't change the transmitter in any way.  For instance, "we7u-12"
> might come to help on the Seattle Marathon in November.  Without
> touching that station at all, I can make that station appear as
> "SAG-5" on all APRS+SA and Xastir stations in the area by sending
> out a tactical callsign assignment over the air and/or over the
> internet.
>
> When done with the event I can resend the tac-call assignments as ""
> and "we7u-12" gets displayed again. -

So any direct RF receiver like D7xx and Yaesu's devices will still see
WE7U-12 for this station.  Hm, I'd think that's almost worse than not
having the tactical call...

But, I'm not the judge.  If you've got it, have you submitted it to Bob
for inclusion in the specs?  I'd love to implement it, just for the
compatibility, if you can provide implementation / format details.