[Xastir] OS X 10.6/Xastir/Maps

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Aug 23 21:17:48 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 09:13:27PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <ke4qdl at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Hi All,
>
> I seem to be having difficulty getting the maps to work.  I know the
> directory they are supposed to go it, but I must have misconfigured
> something, as I watch these messages go across the screen all day:
>
> "Magick: Delegate failed ("html2ps" -U -o "%o" "%i").
> execvp failed, errno = 2 (No such file or directory)
> Magick: "html2ps" "-U" "-o"
> "/var/folders/YF/YFc6Addp2RaIu++F75NrEU+++TI/-Tmp-/gmUaP5zh"
> "/Users/chase/.xastir/map_cache/map_1282608652.jpg".
> Magick: Delegate failed ("html2ps" -U -o "%o" "%i").
> Magick: Improper image header
> (/Users/chase/.xastir/map_cache/map_1282611440.gif)."
>
> I'm using OS X 10.6 and Xastir 1.9.6
>
> Any help is appreciated.

What map are you attempting to view?  Is it TIGER?  Because what it *sounds*
like is that the attempt to fetch your map has come up with an HTML error
response page instead of a PNG image, and Magick is attempting to convert it
from HTML to an image.

If you're trying to get TIGER maps, then this is a known issue --- the
TIGER server was taken down, apparently permanently.

See the first line of http://www.xastir.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions
about that.  To get the OpenStreetMaps replacement, you need Xastir from CVS,
1.9.6 is too old.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."