[Xastir] Can't Build Xastir...

Chip G. n1mie at mac.com
Sat Dec 4 14:29:03 EST 2010

Having problems on at least one computer. I tried on a second computer and received the same error (but that computer may not be a good gage as I recently upgraded the OS and several items are still broken). On my main Xastir machine I am not having troubles doing rebuilds.

The machine with the error is my main laptop. It has Mac OS X 10.6 installed. There have been no major changes since the last time I updated Xastir. The error I receive is:

> checking for Motif libraries... configure: error: **** MOTIF LIBRARIES NOT FOUND **** Install Motif development headers/libraries or use --with-motif-libraries to specify path to libXm.a

But Fink reports that lesstif is installed as it always has been:

>  i   lesstif                         1:0.95.2-4              Free implementation of OSF/Motif
>  i   lesstif-bin                     1:0.95.2-4              Free implementation of OSF/Motif
>  i   lesstif-shlibs                  1:0.95.2-4              Free implementation of OSF/Motif

I removed and reinstalled lesstif to no avail. I tried building with the following command (motif link added):

> sudo ./configure CPPFLAGS=-DUSE_PID_FILE_CHECK --prefix=/sw --without-gpsman --with-bdb-libdir=/sw/lib --with-bdb-incdir=/sw/include/db4 --with-rtree --with-motif-libs=/sw/lib

That seemed to work. Why did I now suddenly have to change? The file has always been in /sw/lib and that is covered by the --prefix switch. Did something recently change on this? Why is this working as before on the main desktop but not on my laptop? (The desktop doesn't have the motif-libs switch.)

I'm baffled.

73,
--de Chip (N1MIE) FN41bn