[Xastir] Xastir and Mac with D72

Kurt Savegnago ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 12 13:45:52 EST 2010

I'm using a native Linux Slackware installation so I don't know if there are any nuances between the two systems.  I'm not running a Mac and apologize for not making that clearer the first time.

Here's what I did anyways:

There are some canned files under /usr/local/share/xastir/config directory
like tnc-startup.X and tnc-shutdown.X.

Under Interface Control. I hit Add and Serial TNC for a new device.
Select port which for me I'm using /dev/ttyUSB0.  One caveat, if one plugs and unplugs stuff, they have to make sure the D72 is on the port they select here.  If there is no peripheral plugged in, it's assigned the first available, USB0. Port setting is 9600bps 8,N,1, UnProto is your paths you want.

Again, I didn't touch any of the setup menus in my out of the box
D72.  I wanted to try first and then go after it if I had a problem

At the bottom is TNC Configuration Files.  I typed in tnc-startup.thd7
and tnc-shutdown.thd7.  There are other files there like for the D700
one can try.  I haven't yet looked into it.

I've seen folks post something to the effect that the D7 file with a D7 was
like inefficient or something along those lines.  It does work with my D7A(g) and it worked with my "out of the box" D72.  I just had to press the TNC button so it indicated "PACKET" and had.390 tuned in the data channel.

Kinda nice not having to use a USB/serial converter.  Next try will be
to see if the MCP4A program works under WINE for programming.  The old program for the D7 wouldn't communicate.

                                Kurt KC9LDH