[Xastir] Deb distro with Mepis 11 ?

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Wed Dec 29 05:19:00 EST 2010

Ive installed the latest Mepis 10.9.82 Alpha distro on my eepc. THis is a Mepis 11 prerelease . Its running debian squeeze if you like.

I tried installing the last xastir deb file from Lee but it failed and complained about the infamous libmotif3 in that it could not fulfill the dependancy. I did the same test with mint debian (latest release squeeze/testing based) which is dated december 2010. Same issue with libmotif3.

I really like these 2 distros as my 3G phone actually works under these and gives me internet access. This is something that Mepis 8.5 cant do properly. I am going on holidays in a few days and wanted to try this combo with the 3G phone at times.

When are we going to get free from these cursed black maps in debian distros ? The problem has been there now for over 2 years. Even in the latest debian testing repositries its still there. I dont want to sound like a winjer but this problem is a real bad advertisment for xastir that just seems to be playing for too long.

Any quick fix ideas for this one ? I have not got alot of time to play about unfortunately.
Ive installed xastir 1.94 from the repositries but unfortunately it still suffers from the black maps magic/motif problem in that release . I can make it work by converting the culprit jpg map files to gifs if I have to. Of course having v1.99 and OSM is something that would be really amazing also.

Tony Hunt VK5AH