[Xastir] map problem on MEPIS

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 13:47:58 EST 2010

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Rob Neece wrote:

> Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
> geo Image Map (ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick library, many formats allowed)
> shp ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)

In contrast this is what install says:

Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
        geo   Image Map (ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick library, many formats allowed)
        geo   URL (Internet maps via libcurl library)
        shp   ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)

Notice that second "geo" line.

> libcurl or 'wget' not installed. Can't download file

Obviously that's the problem with downloading maps off the internet,
Xastir doesn't have the tools it needs in order to get the files, or
support for wget or libcurl wasn't compiled in.  I didn't see that
you told us what the Help->About->Libraries used: line said.  That
would tell you whether support was compiled into the binary.

> Ran "Map->Configure->Index: Reindex ALL Maps" from the menu, and the maps did
> show up in the chooser. Apparently the "Index new maps on start up" menu
> option doesn't work as expected.

Well, it works as I expect it to.  hi hi

It uses file timestamps.  If the files aren't "new" according to
your filesystem, then the "index new maps" bit of code won't catch
them.  Sometimes when you download and de-archive maps they end up
with the old timestamps, at which point the INDEX ALL option will
work for you.

> Referencing the above console output, the warnings are interestinge, because
> wget is installed, and ia32-libs-libcurl3, libcurl3, and libcurl-gnutls are
> all installed.

If libcurl and libcurl-devel weren't installed on the system which
compiled the binary, Xastir wouldn't have support for it compiled
in.  If wget was installed on that system instead, then the binary
might have support for it compiled in but then you'd also need wget
installed on your system.  I suspect your binary just doesn't have
support for either compiled in.

> libcurl or 'wget' not installed. Can't download file
> libcurl or 'wget' not installed. Can't download file

Those messages are because you still have some internet maps
selected in the Map Chooser or because you have "Automaps" turned on
in the Map menu.  Turn off Automaps, plus select only one map at a
time in Map Chooser until you get a feel for how things work and how
to make the maps stack up.

> The file worldhi.map no longer appears in the map chooser.

Probably because you don't have it in your maps directory anywhere?