[Xastir] So, a question on all this building...

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Feb 5 13:04:55 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 09:47:55AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Fri, 5 Feb 2010, Chris wrote:
>
> > With a bunch of people running Ubuntu, why not just 'sudo apt-get
> > install xastir' ?
> >
> > Is the version shipped with 9.10's repositories lacking some major features?
>
> Can't answer that as I don't run Ubuntu nor know what version of
> Xastir binary they have.

Because the Ubuntu repositories routinely stick at old versions.  As I
understand it, the package maintainer is neither an Xastir user nor a
subscriber to any Xastir list.  In fact, I thought I read recently that the
package maintainer was no longer actively maintaining it, and they were
looking for a new one.

If you want point-and-click installation, you are at the mercy of the binary
maintainer.  If you want current code, you need to roll your own.

I believe the last time I checked, it was still 1.9.4.  We're on 1.9.8 now.
It is possible that they are at 1.9.6 -- if so, they bumped it shortly before
the 1.9.8 release.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation