[Xastir] So, a question on all this building...

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Feb 5 18:27:44 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 03:20:24PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lee.bengston at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On 2/5/10, Bob Nielsen <n7xy at clearwire.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Feb 5, 2010, at 10:04 AM, Tom Russo wrote:
> >
> >> Because the Ubuntu repositories routinely stick at old versions.  As I
> >> understand it, the package maintainer is neither an Xastir user nor a
> >> subscriber to any Xastir list.  In fact, I thought I read recently
> >> that the
> >> package maintainer was no longer actively maintaining it, and they
> >> were
> >> looking for a new one.
> >>
> >> If you want point-and-click installation, you are at the mercy of
> >> the binary
> >> maintainer.  If you want current code, you need to roll your own.
> >>
> >> I believe the last time I checked, it was still 1.9.4.  We're on
> >> 1.9.8 now.
> >> It is possible that they are at 1.9.6 -- if so, they bumped it
> >> shortly before
> >> the 1.9.8 release.
> >
> > The version of Xastir in the latest (9.10) Ubuntu is actually a
> > recompilation of the version contained in the Debian testing
> > repository (the released version of Debian has 1.9.2).  This is the
> > case for many of the Ubuntu packages.  If 1.9.8 gets into Debian
> > testing soon, it might make it into the next release of Ubuntu (10.4
> > in April).
>
> Based on user feedback, the Xastir binary package in Ubuntu 9.10
> appears to be a very functional version.  That hasn't been the case
> with the binaries provided with 2 or 3 Ubuntu versions prior to 9.10,
> and the same problems encountered by users of earlier Ubuntu versions
> have been seen in other Debian based distributions like Mepis.

And oddly, 1.9.4 had a serious bug related to server ports --- a pointer
was getting zeroed when it shouldn't have been, before a pipe was done
with it.  I'm surprised it isn't biting anyone.  Perhaps the folks that use
this binary don't use Xastir server ports for anything.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation