[Xastir] map problem on MEPIS

Rob Neece kk4r at cox.net
Sat Feb 6 20:03:38 EST 2010

I tested the build directions and tried to integrate the help from Lee
(K5DAT) and Gale (KC4PL).   Lee's instructions are on the web as given
below, and Gale's instructions appeared in an email.  As it turned out,
Lee's instructions were generally a super-set of the instructions given
by Gale, so that is mostly what I followed.  The install was mostly
successful.  A few notes on what I did follow:

Installing packages
  used automake1.9 instead of automake {per Gale} (was this a good idea?)
  did a great number of additional installs based (per Lee)

Setting up .cvsrc
  I made a typo, so when the file ran, -z3 was not applied.  It probably
didn't matter.

Getting the source
  I chose to get STABLE, figuring I could easily go to the bleeding
edge, but going back might be hard.

Shell scripts
  Gale suggests running ./get-maptools.sh in ~/src/xastir.  The script
didn't exist, so I skipped it.

Libraries
  I built the proj.4 library as suggested, but skipped libgeotiff, since
it sounded unnecessary for me.
  In retrospect,  it would have been good to do it -- very easy, why not?

Install xastir
  I got the expected results, except GeoTiff and GDAL capabilities are
not available.

festival
  running "festival --server &" fails due to "no default voice found ..."

xastir
  running xastir seems to work great, but there are some messages at the
console
  see below

rtn at hawk:~/src/xastir/build$ xastir
Making user dir
Making user config dir
Making user data dir
Making user log dir
Making user tracklogs dir
Making user tmp dir
Making user gps dir
Making map_cache dir

Built-in map types:
      gnis   USGS GNIS Datapoints
       map   APRSdos Maps
       map   WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps
       pdb   PocketAPRS Maps

Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
       geo   Image Map (ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick library, many formats
allowed)
       geo   URL (Internet maps via wget)
       shp   ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)
       xpm   X Pixmap Maps (XPM library)
Making user /home/rtn/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf file
client(1) Sat Feb  6 18:53:30 2010 : accepted from localhost
Indexing maps...
draw_geo_image_map:sscanf parsing error
draw_geo_image_map:sscanf parsing error
draw_geo_image_map:sscanf parsing error
draw_geo_image_map:sscanf parsing error
Finished indexing maps
*** Reading WX Alert log files
*** Done with WX Alert log files
convert_from_xastir_coordinates:X out-of-range (too
low):18446744073677686016
convert_from_xastir_coordinates:X out-of-range (too high):161465600
<<<

I set up xaster to use tigermap.geo, and I'm very pleased.  Now I'm sure
I will have some questions in a day or two.

My suggestions for the MEPIS instructions on the web would be to
resolve  which automake should be used (there were several versions
available).  Apparently something more needs to be done for festival,
which may be obvious, but I've never even heard of festival, so it will
require a little detective work.  It seems like the bleeding edge
version is recommended over STABLE.  Why wouldn't STABLE be recommended
for the masses?

In conclusion -- Great Job guys!!!!  Thanks so much!
Rob