[Xastir] Please consider ...

Joseph M. Durnal joseph.durnal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 14:25:27 EST 2010

When I first started using APRS, I was a bit of a path abuser, that
was before someone took the time to explain how it worked.

A wide1-1 packet from my station can relay off of 4 digipeaters, that
is why I don't use it from my fixed station.  WIDE2-1 works well for
me, 2 digis often hear me, one in Virginia and one in Maryland.  The
local Maryland digi that I hit is in an area that could lose power
during this winter event.  But several other Maryland digis can hear
the Virginia digi that can hear me, but want to make sure the packets
get back to MD, hence the MD2-2.  Sure, the WIDE2-2 works fine, but my
packets are probably being heard on wide digis in Ohio, Tennessee, NY,
... you get the picture.

The 20 or so is based on digis that can hear each other.  A couple of
years ago I did some testing on the impact of my packets (late at
night so I wouldn't bother anybody).  3 WIDE hops from my station at 5
watts gets out pretty far.

Sorry to complain, it was probably an e-mail I shouldn't have sent -
just one of those things that was driving me nuts while I was in the
middle of trying to do something (now I have to go over to APRSSIG
with my head hung low and say I'm sorry for something else).

73 de Joseph M. Durnal NE3R