[Xastir] make problems on OSX

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Fri Feb 12 12:52:59 EST 2010

On Feb 12, 2010, at 12:34 PM, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>
>> Would this package help?
>>
>> http://gettext.darwinports.com/
>>
>> The gist I get is that OSX gettext is broken.  Installing an updated
>> version like the above may fix the problem, but you may also have to
>> play some games to get Xastir to use the new version instead of the
>> OS-supplied one.
>
> Another nice article, but the guy had Python-specific trouble with
> Fink and MacPorts "gettext".  The trouble he had shouldn't matter to
> you:  Xastir is written in C which was working for the author in the
> binary installs.
>
> http://blog.doughellmann.com/2009/06/installing-gnu-gettext-for-use-with.html

I don't know about the OP's specific problem, but in order to build the binary distribution that I did, I had to compile and get GNU gettext installed to make it work.  You'll notice it's included with the MacOS binary on my site as an internal framework.

I don't recall working hard to get the gettext to work, but it's been a couple of months since I've built the binary.  That's quite a while when I've got law school running around my brain.