[Xastir] make problems on OSX

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Fri Feb 12 15:36:33 EST 2010

On Feb 12, 2010, at 3:15 PM, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Jeremy McDermond wrote:
>
>> Xastir is using convert to change the .xpm to a .png file.
>> Unfortunately, the version in my binary is looking for it at
>> /usr/local/bin/convert instead of
>> Xastir.app/Contents/Resources/convert.  I'll have to fix it up so
>> that I have a working version of convert in the binary
>> distribution.
>
> So a symlink would fix it up for him temporarily?
>
>    cd /usr/local/bin
>    su
>    ln -s <PATH>/Xastir.app/Contents/Resources/convert
>    exit    # (from su)
>
> With <PATH> filled in as appropriate to find the darned thing.

I thought about that initially and tried it out, but the convert binary requires the MagickWand libraries which aren't included in the internal frameworks. :/

The problem with packaging things as I have is that Xastir and most Linux programs really expect the paths for a lot of things to be determined at compile-time.  They're pretty much premised on the fact that once a binary is installed, it's not going to move around.  When you make an application bundle, you really don't know where it's going to be on any particular run.  That's why the MacOS dynamic linker actually has a shortcut where you can bind the paths with @executable_path as a placeholder for the path where the executable is being run from.  That's how the "internal frameworks" function.  You change the pathname listed with otool -L in the executable from /usr/local/lib/libintl.dylib to something like @executable_path/../Frameworks/intl.Framework/intl and copy the libintl out of your /usr/local/lib into the new path.  That's essentially how I make the bundle, I have a perl script that goes and fixes all the paths for me.

Anyhow.  I'll try to get something compiled up fairly soon.  I tried to save my compile environment on my sole remaining Leopard machine, but it doesn't seem to be very happy right now.  I'll update to the latest CVS while I'm at it.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com