[Xastir] County borders

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 16:57:19 EST 2010

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010, Keith Kaiser wrote:

> I'd like to outline each county in a color (red). I use the new
> Tiger maps so I'm guessing its the edges folder that I need to
> work with, like this one; tl_2008_20091_edges Folder.
>
> Which file inside do I need to play with, or do you know exactly
> how I would go about doing this? I'd also like to fill each county
> with a different county. I'm doing this for a collection of
> counties so it can be anywhere from 5 to about 15 no more.

With earlier tiger shapefiles I recall tweaking the Xastir display
so that the school boundaries would be displayey in a bright color
and thicker.

I think some of the Tiger shapefiles may describe only the county
border, so try turning on just one map type at a time for one county
of interest until you figure out which one.  Once you have that in
hand, you can set up your map layers for those types of map files to
place them on top of other maps, then you can create or tweak the
dbfawk file for that specific type to give you the display you're
after.

Another option would be to snag one of the county outline maps from
NOAA and use that instead, putting that on top of your other maps,
and tweaking the dbfawk file for it.