[Xastir] Proposal: Pitch ImageMagick and require GraphicsMagick instead.

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Jan 1 19:30:41 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 11:12:35AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > I say it's time that we declare ImageMagick too unstable an external library
> > for us to support.  GraphicsMagick, the stable fork of ImageMagick, has been
> > much better and provides all the features we actually use.  Now that the
> > 8-bit quantum bug in Xastir is fixed, GraphicsMagick is a viable alternative
> > for all platforms.
>
> It would be prudent to contact the GM team to find out their
> position on the latest IM problems/whether GM will be making similar
> changes to their API to keep up with the project they forked from
> (IM).

GM's FAQ specifically says they are completely independent of IM now and neither
will nor *can* they take new code from IM and put it in GM --- thanks to
licensing issues.

API/ABI stability "that you can count on" is one of their "reasons to use
GM instead of IM" on the home page.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation