[Xastir] Station Info

James Cameron vk2lqz at wia.org.au
Sat Jan 2 18:44:31 EST 2010

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 03:14:21PM -0600, Tim Billingsley wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2 Jan 2010, Tim Billingsley wrote:
> >
> > The pasting with the middle mouse button? ??If it's the
> > latter, perhaps you have "simulate 3rd button" turned on in your X
> > config... ??If so, press the left and right buttons simultaneously
> > instead of the middle button to paste. ??Also consider changing your
> > X configs so that your third button is of more use.
>
> Tried all of the above. Still no joy. Thanks.

Fascinating.  If you want to learn what is going wrong, divide the
problem space by running xev ... this pops up a window, you move the
cursor into the window while watching the Terminal output, and then try
your various mouse buttons, taking note of the button numbers reported.
It may help to lift the mouse above the surface so that you don't get
motion events.

This is the output I get from pressing the left mouse button:

ButtonPress event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001,
    root 0x10c, subw 0x1c00002, time 12488110, (23,28), root:(272,300),
    state 0x0, button 1, same_screen YES

... the important bit is "button 1".

See what you get for each button.  If you get a 1 and a 3 only, try
pressing both buttons to see if you get a 2.

Also check the "state 0x0" ... zero is good, it means no other key is
held down.  It is normal to see "state 0x100" on a ButtonRelease.

If you are seeing the correct button events, the next likely cause of
your problem is that another application has claimed the X selection and
is not letting it go in a conventional manner.  You might be able to
test that using the xsel program.

(On Debian and Ubuntu, xsel is in the xsel package, and xev is in the
x11-utils package).

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/