[Xastir] Loss of incoming audio

Tim Billingsley kd5ckp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 12:55:26 EST 2010

Sorry if this is remedial for some of you guys, but I an still
learning and have a long way to go yet ...

For some reason I keep losing my incoming audio to xastir. I keep
trying to diagnose the problem, but to no end. I cannot seen to find a
way to "see" what soundmodem is hearing unless I kill it and start
soundmodemconfig which really defeats the point. BTW is there a way to
make soundmodemconfig NOT freeze the screen when no DCD?

I have two soundcards. Currently I am using the ALS4000 for soundmodem
and the onboard MCP73 is used for general use and other digital modes
on HF
00:09.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP73 High Definition Audio (rev a1)
01:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Avance Logic Inc. ALS4000 Audio Chipset

Occasionally when the machine boots it will load these cards in
reverse and I simply reboot to get them back in order as I have them
assigned. There is probably an easier/faster way, but that is what I
found that works.
nVidia /dev/dsp0
Avance /dev/dsp1

As I stated I have not found a way to "see" what soundmodem hears so
my next best option is to watch what data comes through the TNC via
xastir's View>Incoming Data window. A few moments ago I checked it and
I received one station a few miles from me and nothing else. Transmit
audio seems to work fine, but there is one other item that may help in
diagnosis. Almost every time I start xastir it will transmit once and
after that it stores every beacon/message/query until I stop the
interface and restart it. At that point everything transmits fine. The
receive is hit and miss at best. A couple of days ago I ran almost all
day with no glitches, today I have had no luck at all. I am about to
reboot again and see what it does.

Not sure what this is all about either. I found this in the syslog.
soundmodem[6305]: kiss: symlink error: /dev/pts/0 -> /dev/soundmodem0
soundmodem[6822]: kiss: symlink error: /dev/pts/4 -> /dev/soundmodem0

Any suggestions or wisdom is greatly appreciated. Yes this is probably
a soundmodem issue, but you guys have been extremely helpful so far
and in my estimation this is directly related to xastir so hopefully
it fits here as well.

Thanks
Tim