[Xastir] Automake & Bit Depth

Chip G. n1mie at mac.com
Sun Jan 10 23:19:46 EST 2010

On Jan 10, 2010, at 13:39, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010, Chip G. wrote:
>
>> A frequently updated item on my system, that may other packages depend upon, is gettext which wants automake 1.5 to be installed. Automake 1.5 was released in August 2001 (older than your specified 5-6 years).
>
> 5 or 6 years was just a guess by the way.
>
>> Automake 1.6 was released in March 2002. Why gettext should keep insisting on such an old product is beyond me, but it does. So frequently when I do updates that depend on gettext, I get "downgraded" to automake 1.5.
>
> I have these installed:
>
>> rpm -qa | grep gettext
> gettext-runtime-0.17-60.9
> perl-gettext-1.05-91.228
> gettext-tools-0.17-60.9
>
> Are you running gettext 0.17?  Are you compiling gettext from sources?

I have the following installed:

>  i   gettext-bin                     0.17-19                 GNU Internationalization utilities
>  i   gettext-tools                   0.17-16                 GNU Internationalization utils (shared libs)
>  i   libgettext3-dev                 0.14.5-4                GNU Internationalization utilities (Development Files)
>  i   libgettext3-shlibs              0.14.5-4                GNU Internationalization utils (shared libs)
>  i   libgettext8-shlibs              0.17-19                 GNU Internationalization utils (shared libs)
>  i   libgettextpo2-shlibs            0.17-16                 GNU Internationalization utils (shared libs)

The actual gettext listing is 0.10.40-126 and is not presently installed. These are all installed using Fink (my package manager). Generally it downloads the source from an rsync server and then compiles. It does have the ability to download a precompiled version (if available). I believe I have that switch off. I've never directly asked for gettext, it's use is apparently required by one or more of the packages I have installed. Frankly nearly all of my installed packages (at least on the one machine) are governed by my Xastir usage. So likely it's required by something Xastir requires (or an optional package).

--
    Chip