[Xastir] Wiki spam --- again

James Cameron vk2lqz at wia.org.au
Fri Jan 15 16:18:11 EST 2010

I administer several wikis (Netrek, my own, and a couple of others), and
a trac instance for One Laptop Per Child, and the evidence I've
collected suggests there are evolutionary algorithms being used by
botnets, and certainly one of the winning tricks at the moment is a very
small amount of link spam, which makes the effort to fix it hardly worth
while compared to what happens when several pages are attacked.

The CAPTCHA's are probably being filled out by third-party; where they
are presented to a legitimate user as part of some other transaction on
another web site.

The sites that require e-mail confirmation of new account tend to be the
least trouble for me to administer ... but I expect it won't be long
before that method is compromised.  New e-mail addresses are so easy to
get.

The site with the least trouble at the moment has an HTTP AUTH in front
of it with a well known password.  Well known to the community that uses
it, that is.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/