[Xastir] Snapshot problems

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Jan 17 11:27:36 EST 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 11:51:39PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lee.bengston at gmail.com> flavor, containing:

> Although I did back out OpenOffice in order to make room for Xastir
> and its dependencies, I don't think I removed libxpm-dev.  It appears
> that libxpm-dev needs to be added as a package to be installed in the
> HowTo for Ubuntu 9.04/9.10 in the wiki

I have done two Ubuntu 9.10 virtual machines in the last week using exactly
the procedure in the current Xastir wiki page (regular desktop and Ubuntu
Netbook Remix) -- I literally cut-and-pasted the apt-get install lines from
the wiki into the shell and got a functional Xastir.  Both attempts installed
libxpm-dev as one of the dependencies from the first apt-get install line. I
have not tried 9.04 --- it's possible that there's a broken dependency
somewhere.  So at least for 9.10, there is no need to change the wiki
instructions.

Until last week, the 9.04 page had broken instructions and did not even include
xorg-dev.  But leaving that out makes xastir uncompilable, so I don't think
that's the issue --- you must have installed that one even though it was missing
from the wiki instructions.  But it's one of:

xorg-dev libmotif-dev graphicsmagick gv libxp-dev

that's getting things installed on 9.10, at any rate.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation