[Xastir] dbfawk complaints after installing Tiger2008 maps

Bill Hammond ka1ssr at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 18 14:50:15 EST 2010

Hi!

I'm a relative noob to xastir and I'm having trouble with the Tiger 2008
maps that I downloaded and installed according to the instructions in
the wiki.

I downloaded the files for Hillsborough County, New Hampshire (the whole
Hillsborough directory) and installed them in the proper directories per
the wiki.  Whenever I access them, dbfawk complains that it cannot find
the signature files.  Here is the output I get from xterm...

Built-in map types:
      gnis   USGS GNIS Datapoints
       pop   USGS GNIS Datapoints w/population
       map   APRSdos Maps
       map   WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps
       pdb   PocketAPRS Maps

Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
       geo   Image Map (ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick library, many formats
allowed)
       geo   URL (Internet maps via libcurl library)
       shp   ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)
       xpm   X Pixmap Maps (XPM library)
festival_client: connect to server failed
SayText: Couldn't open socket to Festival
Indexing maps...
Finished indexing maps
*** Reading WX Alert log files
*** Done with WX Alert log files
No DBFAWK signature for
TIGER2008/33_NEW_HAMPSHIRE/33011_Hillsborough_County/tl_2008_33011_tabblock00.shp!  Using default.
No DBFAWK signature for
TIGER2008/33_NEW_HAMPSHIRE/33011_Hillsborough_County/tl_2008_33011_bg00.shp!  Using default.
No DBFAWK signature for
TIGER2008/33_NEW_HAMPSHIRE/33011_Hillsborough_County/tl_2008_33011_taz00.shp!  Using default.
No DBFAWK signature for
TIGER2008/33_NEW_HAMPSHIRE/33011_Hillsborough_County/tl_2008_33011_tract00.shp!  Using default.
No DBFAWK signature for
TIGER2008/33_NEW_HAMPSHIRE/33011_Hillsborough_County/tl_2008_33011_vtd00.shp!  Using default.

I have read about .dbfawk files in the MAPS.README file.  I did a little
searching after that and found that there are no matching .dbfawk files
for the .dbf files for the maps that I downloaded.

I discovered the Tiger 2009 maps on the same server, so I installed them
as well using the same procedure, only this time going to the 2009
directory.  No luck; the maps seem to load although with a grey
background.

I guess my question is two-fold: 1) Is there a way to generate a .dbfawk
file from a .dbf file and b) should I even be worrying about these
errors in the first place?

I'm running version 1.9.7 sucked from the cvs under Ubuntu 9.10.  I've
recently rediscovered xastir after reading about it in the Linux
Journal.  If this program were a woman, I'd marry it! ^_^

Thanks a lot for your help!

73,

Bill Hammond KA1SSR