[Xastir] Map formats and ordering

Ian Bennett ibennett at tpg.com.au
Wed Jan 20 21:02:02 EST 2010

Good afternoon,
	I am taking my first tentative steps with Xastir. I downloaded 1.9.6 and
compiled in everything except for festival speech.
	It is working, however I think I am having a few issues with the soundcard on
my Dell 7300; soundmodem doesn't decode all packets. I want to play with
audio levels to see if it improves. Anyway, onto the purpose of my post.
	I use Oziexplorer when 4WDing and have collected a LOT of topo maps over the
years and would like to use them in Xastir. Problem is ECW and DrSid formats
are not supported. I vaguely remember something about Xastir using ImageMagik
for image processing so maybe I should hit them up??
	I have managed to convert a few through a long and laborious process, which
brings me to my second problem; "map ordering".
	Since the maps I have are scanned paper maps, there is a white border around
the edges. This edge overlaps onto the next map meaning there are sections
where I don't get any topo info; only the white edge.
	Is there a way I can tell Xastir to bring a certain map to the "top" of the
stack (i.e be drawn last)?? It would be real handy if this were a right-click
option.
	I don't intend to have all these topo maps loaded at the same time as Xastir
takes a while to refresh. My application is to keep tabs on a mobile tracker
from my 4WD so I'd be using one or two map sheets at the most.
	Ergo, coverage around the edges of the map sheets is critical and short of
cutting the edges off and redoing the georeferencing, I'm keen to be able to
control the order in which Xastir draws the maps.
	Advice appreciated.

Ian
VK1IAN