[Xastir] Xastir messaging question

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 13:50:08 EST 2010

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010, Joe Kirby wrote:

> I am using soundmodem with an old scanner to receive local APRS traffic.

A receive-only setup.

> I use my radio as a tracker.

A transmit-only setup for your car?

> I have seen people send me messages, but I
> don't seem able to reply. Is aprs2.net bi-directional?

Yes.

> Is there some
> other service which I should be using? Should I set the message to route
> through the local digi?

More than likely, if I understand your two setups correctly (I may
not), Xastir thinks that you have a path to local RF via the
scanner/soundmodem interface.  Any messages people send to you on
local RF will cause Xastir to try to respond on local RF, but you
have a receive-only setup there.  Xastir is trying, but won't
succeed.

If Xastir has an internet connection as well, it will still prefer
that local RF interface.  One way to do it would be to bring up
another copy of Xastir that is ONLY on an internet interface, using
a different SSID.  From that one you should be able to message
people because there is no RF interface attached to mess up the
routing.  Make sure you've put in a callpass entry on that interface
as well.