[Xastir] Updating to 1.9.6

Chip G. n1mie at mac.com
Mon Jan 25 19:32:25 EST 2010

On Jan 25, 2010, at 14:35, Jeremy McDermond wrote:

> I found that Xastir's configure wasn't happy with Snow Leopard's libcurl version for some reason.  I ended up compiling a new version of libcurl for my Xastir packaged binary and including it as an internal framework to remove the dependency.

Interesting. I have three different Snow Leopard machines with Xastir installed. I've had no problem on any of them with this. Here are the comparable lines from my install output compared to Keith's initial post:

> checking curl/curl.h usability... yes
> checking curl/curl.h presence... yes

I have two versions of curl installed, one from the system and one via Fink (package maintainer). I have the /sw/ binaries given preference in my path statements. Here are the version infos:

> 19:23 [chip at aluminum:~/Xastir (2.918M)] $ /sw/bin/curl --version
> curl 7.19.4 (i386-apple-darwin10.0.0) libcurl/7.19.4 OpenSSL/0.9.8k zlib/1.2.3 c-ares/1.6.0 libssh2/1.1
> Protocols: tftp ftp telnet dict ldap http file https ftps scp sftp
> Features: AsynchDNS GSS-Negotiate IPv6 Largefile NTLM SSL libz

> 19:23 [chip at aluminum:~/Xastir (2.918M)] $ /usr/bin/curl --version
> curl 7.19.4 (universal-apple-darwin10.0) libcurl/7.19.4 OpenSSL/0.9.8k zlib/1.2.3
> Protocols: tftp ftp telnet dict ldap http file https ftps
> Features: GSS-Negotiate IPv6 Largefile NTLM SSL libz

Both the same version, the only apparent difference is the Intel specific versus universal builds. I also keep wget installed as a backup.

When I upgraded the last machine to Snow Leopard, which required a complete reinstall of Fink and Xastir, I had troubles with getting shapelib installed. The build complains but says it doesn't need it. What I'm reading here is the same. If separate install is no longer necessary, or perhaps even desired, why not remove it from the install notes as well as have the install process stop complaining about it not being there. Not critical, but it is confusing for the newer users and it'll just be a frequently asked question as long as it's there.

Thanks again to all the programmers and maintainers for the great work you do for the community. Some day I hope to get my code skills up to snuff and help out a little. Some day ...

--
    Chip