[Xastir] Open Street Map support

VA7OTC JD Erskine va7otc at yahoo.ca
Wed Jul 7 01:58:20 EDT 2010

On 06/Jul/10 05:32, Jim wrote:
> Jason KG4WSV wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 7:11 AM, Jim <jim at k4gvo.com> wrote:
>>> Our weather service spotters network was asking for some way to post the
>>> location of reporting stations on a map.
>>
>> sounds like an APRS object to me.
>>
>> -Jason
>> kg4wsv

> Very much like that. We use APRS but there are far more phone contacts
> than APRS stations.
>
> Jim.

and that's exactly what an APRS Object is.

Might be a ham station, might not. Might be someone reporting something
with a radio in some other service, over a payphone, by flashing light.
Might be a funnel cloud location, bridge out, evacuation centre, etc.

Instantly shows on everyone's displays. APRS Object. No need for GPS,
"tracker", Internet connection. Man, I sound like Bob. It's
visual/georef-ed communication. <grin>

73, John
VA7OTC/VE0JD