[Xastir] OSM offline

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 14:27:25 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 12:07 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv at gmail.com> wrote:
> You guys should have a look at the map rendering rules that we have in
> the editing software. Dbfawk is garbage compared to what we can do
> with raw OSM data.

on the other hand, a shapefile is just data, no software, and it can
be downloaded to a system and have complete mapping support without an
internet lifeline, _and_ dbfawk is 100% internal to xastir, no extra
software to locate/build/install.

Whereas Merkaartor appears, at first glance, to have a non-trivial
chance at being a typical FOSS descent into dependency hell.  And
apparently all it does is edit, so you'd need something else to
actually _render_ the images and feed the raster data to xastir?

Don't be too quick to disparage dbfawk because it isn't shiny. It Just Works.

-Jason
kg4wsv