[Xastir] OSM offline

Piotr Gluszenia Slawinski curious at bwv190.internetdsl.tpnet.pl
Wed Jul 7 14:34:08 EDT 2010

--

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010, James Ewen wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 3:17 AM, Thomas Sprinzing <thomas at sprinzing.org> wrote:
>
>> It is just the matter for some knowledgable people to write a decent dbfawk file and put it to work.
>
> You guys should have a look at the map rendering rules that we have in
> the editing software. Dbfawk is garbage compared to what we can do
> with raw OSM data.
>
> I'm using a program called Merkaartor to edit OSM data on my machine.
> It has a number of different style sheets that it can use to display

there is also software called 'navit' which is optimised for
rendering (it uses 'binary' osm data, which is bit more compact
than raw .osm)
it also has customisable view, altrough it can be customised
only via config file (so far) .
ofcourse it is lot faster than merkaartor and xastir with shapefiles...

i also would look forward for somehow integrating those two projects,
or well, quite anything beyond current xastir map display code ;)

the tile support for OSM is also not so bad idea - at least
it is something which sounds simple to implement...

ad. portablity - did anyone ever tried to port xastir to i.e. windows?
i guess it's just matter of trying...

there can be more problem with i.e. winCE ports for handheld devices...