[Xastir] OSM offline

Thomas Sprinzing thomas at sprinzing.org
Thu Jul 8 01:52:22 EDT 2010

I've had a look at the meerkator webpage. Frankly, i don't need
another map editing piece of software on my computer.

What most of us want, and that was written somewhere here more than
often, is a way to use xastir with downloaded, half-decent, but nicely
scaling maps in a way comprehensible for people that do not hack unix
kernels when they are bored, but switch on the radio and rag chew.

Ham Radio in itself is broad enough a hobby and field of knowledge.
Let alone APRS with all the gating, paths, whattheheck. Xastir just
lost me when i read somewhere that i need to install some gis software
to find out about the content of the shapefiles, in order to learn and
write a half-baked ugly-looking dbfawk.

Pulling maps online doesn't pull it for me either - nor should it do
so for all the emcomms. In the case you need the stuff, the net is
down or unavialable, so get the act together and have your maps on
your computer. (Or else, stop playing fireman and join the real guys.)

Rendering maps to bitmaps with merkaartor and using them with xastir
doesn't pull it for me either. You are always at the wrong zoom level,
with display resolution unequal to rendered map resolution. Effect is
either lost detail due to pixelation, or lost detail due to averaging
between pixels. You could waste lots of disk space though by rendering
the map in different zoom levels. But then, how is ist managed?

Why not use the built-in rendering engine, and have xastir interpret
the shapefiles, and draw nice maps. It was possible before, it should
be now.

I rest my case: it's probably an hour and a half for the guy who
created dbfawk to create a half-decent, commented dbfawk for osm
shapefiles. Put it in the wiki, or better, put it in the install
package as well. Done.

my 2 ct.

73  Thomas VA3TSE