[Xastir] OSM offline

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Jul 8 03:24:48 EDT 2010

On Thu, July 8, 2010 15:44, James Ewen wrote:
<snip>
> I obviously have awoken the Platformists out there with this concept.

I think it's a great idea.  JOSM is another OSM editor.  It draws vector
data and is cross-platform (it's written in Java).  It also handles raster
tiles too (for tracing over Yahoo! aerial photos).  I haven't looked at
Merkaartor (because I use JOSM), but I will now.

I understand exactly what you are getting at.  Conceptually you need an
APRS 'layer' which contains the objects of interest.  The APRS 'engine' is
responsible for maintaining that layer, along with the other non-graphical
data, and the map renderer is responsible for displaying it.  I guess
since Xastir was first created a new crop of mapping/display tools has
appeared, not to mention the availability of useful* data.  These days
Xastir could simply send data to another app for rendering, or the code
for these other apps could be brought into Xastir to improve the rendering
capabilities.

73,

Andrew

* for appropriate values of 'useful'