[Xastir] Sidux 2010-01 Installation Notes

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 13:16:24 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Rainer D., DL5PD <raidoh71 at web.de> wrote:
> Hello again.
>
> @Curt:
> - I am starting xastir as a user, not as root, no sudo
> - After the new installation of sidux 2010-01, I did no installation of
> the precompiled version, I directly installed from cvs after the
> installation of the base system
>
> @Lee:
> - Tnx fer testing a little bit more, perhaps it is really a hardware
> issue...
>
> Question is: Is there another possibility to get xastir 1.9.9 to work?
> The precompiled version at least worked on the hardware. Though I would
> love to integrate OSM, because I am also engaged in that project.
>
> 73 de Rainer, DL5PD

Just a quick follow-up on installing Xastir on Sidux 2010-01.  I
installed the KDE lite version natively this time instead of in
VirtualBox and installed via the HowTo for Sidux 2010 in the
installation notes (fresh CVS download today).  No crashes and online
OSM is working fine.  This machine is a 2.5 year old home brew using a
cheap ECS motherboard with an Intel chipset and integrated Intel video
chip.  The CPU is a Core 2 Duo E6750 (I think I remembered that
right), which at the time made the mobo/cpu combo not exactly dirt
cheap, but the performance has been strong.

So my guess is that the problems some were having with Sidux 2010 must
have been hardware related.  I have to admit that the hardware in this
box has turned out to be very Linux friendly, although most modern
Linux distro's seem to be very good with hardware support any more.

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX