[Xastir] Building dbfinfo

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Jul 10 16:57:20 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 02:43:30PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 12:59:43PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <ka1ssr at earthlink.net> flavor, containing:
> > On 07/10/2010 11:07 AM, Curt, WE7U wrote:
> > >
> > > Ah, I stand corrected.
> > >
> > > Then this means that Bill must have installed Shapelib in the OS.
> > > If he installed Shapelib from sources then he can build the tool
> > > there.
> > >
> > > If not, then removing the external Shapelib means he can re-run
> > > Xastir's configure and then build the tool in
> > > xastir/src/shapelib/contrib/
> > >
> > I ran ./configure --without-festival --with-internal-shapelib
> > CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/geotiff", then make.  Changed to the
> > ~/xastir/src/shapelib/contrib directory and did a make there.  No luck.
> > I then unistalled shapelib, libshp-dev and libshp1 and ran ./configure
> > --without-festival CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/geotiff".  Still no luck.
> > Configure says that it's using the internal shapelib library in both cases.
>
> Ah.  I see what the issue is.
>
> There is no rule to create dbfinfo in our makefile.  We only create dbfadd,
> dbfcreate, shpadd and shpcreate.  Lemme see if I can fix that.

Until just now, xastir's internal shapelib did not build any of the contrib
programs, only those at the same level as the rest of shapelib.  Do a CVS
update, and then build Xastir with internal shapelib.  dbfinfo will be
built and installed along with dbfadd, dbfcreate, shpadd and shpcreate.

Note that this only builds shapelib and its tools with static linking for
Xastir, and does not install the library itself.  If you already have
shapelib installed from a package management system, you should NOT do it
this way.  In that case, you'll have to install dbfinfo from a shapelib source
distribution other than the one that lives in Xastir's source tree.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."