[Xastir] Basic Questions

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 13:40:26 EDT 2010

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010, Tom wrote:

> I'm running the lastest rev. On a Mac

Define latest rev.  Latest binary package that someone did for a
Mac?  Latest stable source release?  Latest development source
release?  CVS?  If CVS, how long ago?

> 1. Does anyone have some examples of how to configure the TNC on a Kenwood
> TS-2000?

That is a minimal Tasco-designed TNC like in the TH-D7A's and
TM-D7[01]0's.  Try one of these methods.  Note that you can create
all of these and just use one if you want to experiment.  You can
create up to 15 interfaces in Xastir:

*) Interface->Interface Control->Add->Serial TNC
     Startup file: "tnc-startup.d700"
     Stop file: "tnc-stop.d700"

*) Interface->Interface Control->Add->Serial TNC
     Startup file: "tnc-startup.thd7"
     Stop file: "tnc-stop.d700"

*) Interface->Interface Control->Add->Serial KISS TNC
     Set the TNC to KISS mode before-hand

*) Yet another option if running Linux:  Set the TNC to KISS mode
    and run an "AX25 TNC" interface in Xastir.  See our HOWTO for
    this on the Xastir website as it's a bit more complicated.

> 2. I have the OSM map up for my area but all that I get are lines with
> numbers. How do I get the objects and call signs to display?

Are you using the online OSM maps or the downloaded Shapefile
extracts from the OSM database?

For APRS station/objects/items to display you'll need to have an
interface up and running, RF or internet or both.  I'm running one
of each.

Once you have an interface up and are receiving packets you should
start seeing stations on your map with the default settings.  If
you've messed with them already, the Station->Filter Data and
Station->Filter Display menus would be the place to re-enable
things.

> 3. How do I clear the map so that I can start fresh?

Map->Map Chooser->Clear->Apply or Clear->OK ("OK" makes the dialog
go away, "Apply" doesn't).