[Xastir] Fwd: Canadian Call Sign lookup on Xastir-Ubuntu 10.04 Live CD

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 23:01:23 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 12:20 AM, Jeremy Utley <jerutley at gmail.com> wrote:
> leads me to believe the problem is actually something in Xastir or the
> Motif libraries trigger up in the glibc code - most likely having to
> do with buffer overflow fortification.  Unfortunately, since all the
> system libraries have no debug symbols in them, it's probably going to
> be hard to trace out where in the code the problem is.  Curt might be
> able to make more sense of this than I can, and my limited knowledge
> of C debugging doesn't give me any other ideas of where to look.
> Looks like even the Xastir binary has been stripped of debugging
> symbols - Curt - does Xastir's make install strip the binary by
> default?  If there's a flag to disable the stripping of the binary,
> you MIGHT be able to turn that off, and get some info of where in the
> code the buffer overflow occurs.

Knowing there had been Lesstif related issues encountered by Xastir in
the past, I did try building with openMotif instead, but that didn't
help. Seeing libXt in there makes me wonder if it's X11 related -
especially since Ubuntu 10.04 is one of the 2 distros I know of
(w/Fedora 13) that has the current X11 issue (right click).

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX