[Xastir] Digipeating with Xasir - How?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 12:54:47 EDT 2010

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010, David Maydew wrote:

> I'm trying to set Xastir 1.9.9 up as a Digipeater, but I'm having no
> luck.  I'm using a Siskin Tiny-2 TNC, and have got Xastir to see it in
> Serial Kiss mode, but it just sits there and receives and transmits
> nothing. What am I doing wrong?

The TNC itself needs to be in KISS mode, then either:

*) Xastir needs to be set up to use a Serial KISS TNC interface to
talk to it, or

*) AX.25 networking needs to be set up so that the OS knows how to
use the port as a networking port, then Xastir needs to have an
AX25 TNC port set up to talk to it.

Once you have Xastir transmitting/receiving the KISS packets to/from
the TNC, you can enable the "Digipeat?" box on the interface to get
Xastir to digipeat packets that have an unused WIDE1-1 field in the
next available digipeater field.

If you pick option #2 above then you can set up Digi_NED against the
same port, leave digipeating in Xastir OFF, and have much better
digipeating capabilities than Xastir will ever have.  We only
implemented fill-in digi capability in Xastir by design.