[Xastir] ax.25

Chris kc2rgw at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 16:18:55 EDT 2010

ax.25 pretty much *is* packet radio.

What you see I suspect is the options for what/how is performing as
your interface.

You can use a hardware TNC, you can use a hardware TNC in KISS mode,
you can use soundcard modems, you can use userspace soundcard
software, kernel based ax.25, AGWPE soundcard in Windows etc.

You basically generate the tones, listen for the tones and key the
transmit when needed.  The variations above all do it, just in
different ways.  So you have options to configure in Xastir depending
on what it's connected to.

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Jim <jim at k4gvo.com> wrote:
> I often see instructions that mention two different options to perform
> various tasks.  One involves ax.25.  Is there a preferred method?  Is there
> an advantage to using ax.25?  Are there limitations wrt the tnc or modem one
> uses?
>
> Can someone point me to a discussion on the differences?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim.
>
> Not running anything at this time, but waiting to get a couple of antennas
> up.

73      de     Chris       KC2RGW