[Xastir] Installing latest on hardy?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 10:33:34 EDT 2010

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Jim wrote:

> I don't feel comfortable adding things like ppp, slip baycom and others since
> I know I'm not using them. So what do I really need to simply support an ax25
> connection via ttyUSB0?

Don't know without research.  I think I snagged that list out of the
LDP AX.25 HOWTO document (which is often out of date).

> I appear to be talking to the tnc OK after a modprobe mkiss only.  Something
> is periodically telling the tnc to transmit in any case.  I don't have ptt or
> mike audio hooked up just yet.  I wanted to see if I could receive first.
> however I see the send light up once in a while.

Yep, you're most of the way there.

> Xastir doesn't seem to be the one talking since it complains about not
> finding a port:
>
> Thu Jul 22 09:39:23 EDT 2010:
>       Interface Error!  AX.25 invalid port name ax0
>
> Thu Jul 22 09:39:23 EDT 2010:
>       Interface Error!  Error opening interface 0 Hard Fail
>

> ifconfig
> ax0       Link encap:AMPR AX.25  HWaddr K4GVO-9
>         inet addr:44.24.250.250  Bcast:44.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
>         UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:255  Metric:1
>         RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>         TX packets:386 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>         collisions:0 txqueuelen:10
>         RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:63166 (61.6 KB)

Make sure your Xastir setup for that interface is calling out "ax0"
and not "axO".  As root do "chmod 4755 /usr/local/bin/xastir" else
Xastir won't have the privileges needed to open the port.  Xastir
drops privileges when it's not actually messing with a port, so it's
reasonably safe to do so.