[Xastir] Announcing tile support for OSM

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Jul 27 17:36:24 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:38:55PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lee.bengston at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Jerry Dunmire <jerry at dunmire.org> wrote:
> > Early this morning Curt committed my patches to add tile support for
> > OSM to the CVS tree (thanks Curt).
>
> Thanks Jerry!  Personally I am on a very fast internet connection at
> home, so the static version performs just fine.  Still I am looking
> forward to trying out the tiles.

This is awesome, Jerry.  I had pretty much stopped using all the on-line
maps because I prefer keeping my Xastir window almost the size of my
screen --- and all my machines have screens too wide to make use of the
Terraserver and static OSM maps.  With tiles, they all work very nicely.

OSM with Mapnik is about as pretty a base layer as I can ask for.  And now
that it works with big windows, I'm a happy camper on all my base-station
Xastir instances.  Still stuck with local vector maps for my SAR laptop, but
that's OK.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."