[Xastir] Moving vehicle speed

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 02:37:45 EDT 2010

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010, David wrote:

> Hi All.....i have had it bought to my attention that my Xastir system is
> showing and t/xing the speed of vehicles at a very fast rate....eg VK3HCZ-9 @
> 948km/h.....i think this should be 48km/h
> this has only started to happen within the last few days ...i did a
> update-xastir command a couple of days ago and it has seemed to happen since
> then.....
>
> any thoughts or ideas on this problem

Check that your TNC is not messing up, your baud rate on your serial
port isn't too high for your computer to service the interrupts
without overflow, you don't have RF getting into your system, your
TNC isn't in garbage mode, others on frequency aren't messing up
packets via their serial lines or TNC's in garbage mode.  Any of
these can cause it.

There weren't any changes to the decoding of packets made to Xastir
lately, so it's unlikely (but of course still possible) that Xastir
is directly causing it.

Watch the incoming packet window and look for corruption there.  See
if callsigns are getting corrupted on the map screen.